CONTACT: Hannah Imgrund | Phone: 570-428-2055
2022 Poultry Judge sponsored by BHLG.
As part of the PDA Poultry Exhibition Quarantine, there will be no poultry exhibits at the 2022 Union County West End Fair.
ENTRY FEE: $2.00 per chicken. $3.00 per meat pen and all other fowl.
Payment is due with entry form and must be postmarked by April 1. There will be absolutely no substitutions after the April 1 Entry Deadline, including arrival day at the fair.
4-H and FFA Entries are limited to members of Union County 4-H and the following FFA Chapters: Lewisburg, Mifflinburg and Milton.
While the PA Department of Agriculture did not have a ban on Poultry Exhibitions at time of publication, please refer to the fair website for any updates before registering entries in this class.
- Open only to 4-H and FFA members carrying a poultry project.
- Individual Roaster (chicken): One (1) bird not less than 6 lbs. not more than 10 lbs.
- Meat Pen (chickens): 1 pen of 3 birds. – Weight limits for meat pen not less than 6 lbs. not more than 10 lbs.
- All meat birds must be born after May 1st.
- Meat birds will be obtained by the fair and distributed to exhibitors who have entered a pen of meat birds or an entry of individual roasters.
- The birds will be distributed on May 20 at the fairgrounds at 12:00 pm.
- Exhibitors who enter a meat pen must register for 5 birds but only 3 may be entered for exhibition.
- Exhibitors may enter 3 birds per class either sex with exception to the meat pen with only 1 pen per exhibitor.
- Unsuitable Birds: The fair management will eliminate any birds from competition that are not in suitable condition or which cannot be satisfactorily handled under show conditions.
- Exhibitors must check the current health regulations and inoculation schedules with the Superintendent at least 6 weeks prior to show date.
- All birds must bear a unique individual identification leg band.
- All entries must be vet checked and banded between July 8 and July 15.
- All birds must test negative for Avian Influenza and be tested by a Certified Poultry Technician or Veterinarian. Avian Influenza tests must be completed prior to the fair.
- All test results must accompany the birds upon arrival at the fair.
- Exhibitor must show his or her own poultry.
- Before unloading poultry, all birds must be approved for entry by fair staff; birds must be caged until judging.
- Judges will not award prizes to an unworthy entry. In the absence of competition, or where only one bird is entered, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or no premium will be awarded according to the merit of the entry.
- Fair will not be responsible for the loss of any poultry.
- It is the exhibitor’s responsibility to properly name the breed entered. Any bird improperly entered will be disqualified and will not be judged.
- Exhibitors must provide their own cages.
- Pen of three (3) meat birds must arrive in 3 split pens
- Owner is responsible for feeding and checking on the welfare of their poultry entries. Owner must provide the feed. Designated feeding times for animal access is 7am – 10am AND 5pm – 8pm, unless pre-approved arrangements are made by the department chairperson(s).
- Only the Grand and Reserve Champion meat pen of birds will remain on the fairgrounds for the fair week and sold at the livestock sale on Friday evening.
- All birds must be mature and fully feathered and display traits of the specific breed.
- For a bird to qualify as grand it must place 1st in its respective species class. Reserves will be awarded to second place birds in their respective species. The second place bird from the grand birds class will then go in for reserve.
- For a bird to qualify for best of show, it must be grand large chicken, bantam chicken, duck, goose, turkey, or guinea.
All listed breeds are viable for please see PA Farm Shows list of entry colors.
Section 9 – Poultry
PREMIUMS: $4.50 $3.50 $2.50 $2 $1.50, except Best of Show, Grand, Reserve
|10||9||1||Roaster: Single chicken, must weigh between 6 to 10lbs.|
|10||9||2||Meat Pens: Three chickens of same breed, each must weigh between 6 to 10 lbs.|
|10||9||2a||Grand Champion Meat Pen - Rosette|
|10||9||2b||Reserve Champion Meat Pen - Rosette|
|10||9||3||Large Chickens American|
|10||9||4||Large Chickens Asiatic|
|10||9||5||Large Chickens English|
|10||9||6||Large Chickens Mediterianin|
|10||9||7||Large Chickens Continetal|
|10||9||8||Large Chickens AOSB|
|10||9||8a||Grand Champion Large Chicken - Rosette|
|10||9||8b||Reserve Grand Champion Large Chicken - Rosette|
|10||9||9||Bantam Modern Game|
|10||9||11||Bantams Single Comb Clean Legged|
|10||9||12||Bantams Rose Comb Clean Legged|
|10||9||13||Bantams All Other Comb Clean Legged|
|10||9||14||Bantam Feather Legged|
|10||9||14a||Grand Champion Bantam Chicken - Rosette|
|10||9||14b||Reserve Grand Champion Bantam Chicken - Rosette|
|10||9||15||Ducks Heavy Weight|
|10||9||16||Ducks Medium Weight|
|10||9||17||Ducks Light Weight|
|10||9||18a||Grand Champion Duck - Rosette|
|10||9||18b||Reserve Grand Champion Duck - Rosette|
|10||9||21a||Grand Champion Goose - Rosette|
|10||9||21b||Grand Champion Goose - Rosette|
|10||9||22a||Grand Champion Turkey - Rosette|
|10||9||22b||Reserve Grand Champion Turkey - Rosette|
|10||9||23a||Grand Champion Guinea - Rosette|
|10||9||23b||Reserve Grand Champion Guinea - Rosette|
|10||9||24||Best of Show - Rosette|
Class 3 Breeds:
Buckeye, Chantecler, Delaware, Dominique, Holland, Java, Jersey Giant, Lamona, New Hampshire, Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island, Wynadotte
Class 4 Breeds:
Brahma, Cochin, Langshan
Class 5 Breeds:
Australorp, Cornish, Orphington, Redcap, Sussex
Class 6 Breeds:
Ancona, Andalusian, Catalana, Leghorn, Minorca, Sicilian Buttercup, Spanish
Class 7 Breeds:
Barnvelders, Campine, Hamburg, Lakenvelders, Marans, Welsummer, Polish, Cerecoeur, Faverolls, Houdan, Lafleche
Class 8 Breeds:
Modern Game, Old English Game, Aseel, Cubalya, Malay, Pheonix, Sumatra, Yokohama, Ameraucana, Araucana, Naked Neck, Sultan, Shamo
Class 9 Breeds:
Class 10 Breeds:
American Game, Old English Game
Class 11 Breeds:
Ancona, Andalusian, Australorp, Campine, Catalana, Delaware, Dorking, Dutch, Holland, Japanese, Java, Jersey Giant, Lakenvelder, Lamona, S.C. Leghorn, Minorca, Naked Neck, Nankin, New Hampshire, Orphington, Phoenix, Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, Serama, Spanish, Susses, Welsummer
Class 12 Breeds:
Ancona, Belgian Beaded D Anveers, Dominique, Dorking, Hamburg, R.C. Leghorns, Minorca, Nakin, Recap, Rhode Island, Rose Comb, Sebright, Wynadotte
Class 13 Breeds:
Ameraucana, Araucana, Buckeye-Pea Comb, Chantecler, Cornish, Crevecour, Cubulaya, Hordan, Lafleche, Malay, Polish, Shamo, Sicilian Buttercup, Sumatra, Yokohama, Ko Shamo
Class 14 Breeds:
Belgian Beareded D Anveers, Brahma, Cochin, Favorelles, Langshan, Silkie, Sultan
Class 15 Breeds:
Ayslbury, Muscovy, Pekin, Rouen, Saxony, Silverappleyard,
Class 16 Breeds:
Buff, Cayuga, Crested, Swedish
Class 17 Breeds:
Campbell, Magpie, Runner, Welsh Harlequin
Class 18 Breeds:
Call, East Indie, Mallard, Mandarin
Class 19 Breeds:
African, Embden, Toulouse
Class 20 Breeds:
American Buff, Pilgrim, Pomeranian, Sebastapol, Steinbacher
Class 21 Breeds:
Canada, Chinese, Eqyptian, Tufted Romen
Class 22 Breeds:
Bourbon Red, Royal Palm, Black, Narragansett, Bronze, AOSB
Class 23 Breeds:
Only helmeted guineas are to be entered an variety of color