In addition to regular premiums and ribbons, sponsored Ribbons are awarded to recognize specific exhibits selected by the sponsor and/or fair association. These awards are designated in honor or memory of a loved one, to recognize excellence, and/or to promote education and agriculture.
Committee’s Choice Award — Outstanding Educational Display for Youth
Sponsored by Wanda Stamm
This award is in memory of John Stamm, Jr., who firmly believed that the written/printed word was our lifeline to the past as well as the future.
- Open to children ages 6-12, Open Class or 4H.
- Does NOT need to be farm related.
- Must include research information, i.e., documentation describing the process or information learned.
- A joint family project is encouraged — siblings, parents, grandparents. The child should participate as much as possible with help from the family.
George L. Chick Best Breeding Sheep Award
Sponsored by The Chick Family
4-H/FFA members are eligible for the George L. Chick Award, given to the Best Breeding Sheep or Best Herd of Breeding Sheep in the barn.
John Stamm, Jr. Memorial Award, Sugar Free Pie
Sponsored by Wanda Stamm
- A neatly handwritten or typed recipe for the pie and pie crust must be submitted on 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper. Please use one side only.
- Must identify the sweetener used in the recipe.
Regis Snook Memorial Award for Best of Show, Yeast Breads
Sponsored by Lisa Williams
Regis Snook was a long time exhibitor at the Union County West End Fair. She enjoyed coming to the fair and was well known for her Yeast Breads. This award recognizes the Best of Show in the Yeast Bread category.
Union County West End Fair Most Unique Exhibit
Sponsored by Idella Zimmerman and Peggy Shields
The Most Unique Exhibit award will be selected based on the Uniqueness of the Exhibit with consideration of time commitment, workmanship, overall appearance and usefulness.
Dept 15 — Special Baking Contests
Winners of the Special Baking Contests have the opportunity to compete at the PSACF Annual Convention.
- Blue Ribbon Apple Pie Contest — The state contest is sponsored by PA Apple Marketing Program – www.pennsylvaniaapples.org, PA Department of Agriculture – www.agriculture.state.pa.us, and PA State Associaton of County Fairs –www.pafairs.org
- PA’s Incredible! Angel Food Cake Contest — The state contest is sponsored by Pennsylvania’s Egg Farmers and PA State Associaton of County Fairs – www.pafairs.org
- PA Preferred™ Chocolate Cake Baking Contest — The state contest is is sponsored by the PA State Associaton of County Fairs –www.pafairs.org and PA Dept. of Agriculture’s PA Preferred™ program – www.papreferred.com.
- PA Preferred™ Chocolate Cookie, Brownie or Bar Baking Contest — The state contest is sponsored by the PA State Associaton of County Fairs –www.pafairs.org and PA Dept. of Agriculture’s PA Preferred™ program – www.papreferred.com.
More Information – Special Baking Contests